If you have just started in the world of yoga or you want to start practicing it, perhaps you are a little lost and do not quite know how to do it. For this reason, we will solve the most common doubts.
Yoga is a physical and mental discipline that originated in India and its main objective is to achieve the union between body, mind and soul through breathing. The yoga postures known as “asanas” are performed on a mat and are the means to achieve this goal.
At the same time, the practice of yoga is perfect for training core muscles and improving coordination and flexibility. And of course, to strengthen your mind. The main benefits among others are: it reduces stress, helps us to lead a more conscious life, and improves our concentration.
Keep reading for more tips and advice!
Basics to get started
To get started, we recommend comfortable, tight-fitting, second-skin effect clothing for your yoga practices that allows you to move freely.
One of the best options is the MyLibi
yoga sportswear, comfortable outfits that adapt to the natural shape of your body. They have a wide range of colors, from light and daring tones, to darker and sober tones.
MyLibi offers high quality sportswear for people looking for comfort and style.
Another essential item that should not be missing is a good yoga mat. A mat should have some cushioning so that you feel comfortable during your practice. The yoga mat should be non-slip to prevent your hands and feet from slipping on it. It is essential that you feel good practicing in contact with your mat, and it should also be light to carry, so you can practice yoga in different places such as the countryside, the beach or on vacation.
It is not essential to use accessories to practice yoga, but they may be helpful:
Non-slip yoga towel: Especially now in summer, it will be an useful addition if you sweat a lot. It is a microfiber towel the size of your mat that you can machine wash. We recommend you to have one.
The yoga block, is very useful to explore new postures and bring comfort to your practice. They are made of cork or foam. Also, the meditation cushion is high and hard and allows you to keep your back straight and upright, relax your hips without getting too tired.
A yoga strap is an accessory that can be of great help to improve your flexibility when reaching your feet or for advanced postures.
Type of yoga most recommended for beginners
You may have heard about the different types and names of yoga that exist such as: Hatha, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Anusara, YinYoga, or Acroyoga. Actually, there is not one type of yoga designed only for beginners. It depends on what your goal is. Want something peaceful? Try Yin Yoga or Restorative Yoga. Want something moving and dynamic? Try Vinyasa Yoga and in 1 minute you’ll be sweating.
For starters, we recommend that you try Hatha Yoga. It is one of the most popular and is characterized by its smooth transition between the different asanas. A basic practice, perfect for all ages, easy and adaptable to beginner levels. It will allow you to get to know all the details of the different postures and you will be able to adjust your body until you achieve the correct body postures.
Some of the basic asanas you will find in Hatha Yoga classes are:
- Cat-Cow Pose (Viralasana): posture to warm up your spine.
- Downward dog pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana): inverted V-shaped inversion, opens the body completely.
- Child’s Pose (Balasana): rest or recovery posture, necessary for moments of rest.
How often should yoga be practiced?
If this is your first time practicing yoga, your body will need to get used to it and gain flexibility. Ideally, start practicing for 30 minutes two or three days a week. Schedule your sessions with a rest day in between (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) so that your body can rest. In yoga, active listening to the body is practiced a lot, without pushing it, and little by little, as your body gets used to it, you can increase the frequency of your practices. But above all remember, your body and yoga require time.
Tips that will help you
Finally, before you start your yoga practice, we want to give you some last tips:
- To make yoga practice a daily habit, make it easy on yourself. If you are looking for in-person classes, find a yoga studio near your home. If you practice online, make a weekly schedule with fixed times for your yoga practices.
- Do not hesitate to try different classes and teachers in order to find the one that transmits energy, peace and that fits your preferences.
- You can practice yoga both in the morning and in the afternoon. But if there is something important is to avoid feeling tired. Therefore, if you decide to eat before starting your practice, we recommend you to wait at least 2 hours before starting your class.
- One of the most important things during yoga practice is breathing. The inhalations and exhalations will be the ones that will mark the timing of the different postures. Listen to your body and practice with awareness.
- Yoga takes time, so do not compare yourself with others, little by little you will learn asanas and develop flexibility. The important thing is not to stop practicing!
And if you haven’t tried Gym Beauty
products yet, now is the time. Prepare your face with the Active Fresh Wash
cleanser before working out, or the refreshing face mist Fresh and Glow
. The CBD Calm-Down
serum will be your perfect ally to soothe your skin after practice.
We hope you are feeling motivated to take up yoga and that these tips will help you get started in the world of yoga!